Oct 4, 2022
The Chippewa Valley Council is exploring sending a Council-Led contingent to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico in 2024. Youth that are interested in attending, should fill out the form below.
About Philmont Scout Ranch: Philmont Scout Ranch, the Boy Scouts of America’s premier High Adventure base, challenges Scouts and Venturers with more than 214 square miles of rugged northern New Mexico wilderness. Backpacking treks, horseback cavalcades, and training and service programs offer young people many ways to experience this legendary country. Learn more here.
Requirements for Philmont Trek participants:
- Must be 14 years of age OR be at least 13 years of age and completed the 8th grade prior to June 15, 2024.
- Will be in the rugged mountainous backcountry, in New Mexico during the summer, and in high altitude. Every Philmont trek involves hiking with a 35 to 50-pound backpack at elevations of 6,500 to 12,500 feet. Participants must:
- Not exceed the maximum acceptable limit in the weight-for-height chart. Learn more click here.
- Thoroughly review all medical considerations (click here).
- Complete a physical examination with a healthcare provider using the Philmont Health and Medical Record Form - Click here to view.
- Must attend Philmont Contingent meetings and preparation weekends. There will be at least two weekends where the crew will be camping, hiking, and practicing the necessary skills to go in the backcountry.
- Agree to training following a training regimen that includes hiking and exercises to condition their body for the strenuous activity of a backcountry trek.
- The council contingent will provide some gear for the crew, but all participants are responsible for personal gear such as: clothing, sleeping bags, hiking packs, footwear, and essential camping items.
Cost is to be determined, but should be $1,500 - $2,000 including transportation. Financial assistance will be available,as well as fundraising opportunities.
Dates are to be determined. We will be entering a lottery to determine our exact dates. Expect mid June - early August, 2024. After dates are announced, if there is a scheduling conflict, you will receive your deposit back if a replacement or alternate takes your spot.
We encourage all eligible youth from the Chippewa Valley Council to apply. Preference will be given to youth from units that do not regularly attend High Adventure bases as a unit.
Contact Eric Muench email@example.com or 715-598-9299 if you have any questions.
Please submit application by October 20th, 2022. This is only an interest form, there are no obligations.
Are you an adult looking to be a leader for this adventure? Apply by clicking here.